About the Foundation
Awareness + Education = Advocacy
We engage with all stakeholders in the building construction community to advocate for knowledgeable experts such as DHI-credentialed professionals. Our work is currently focused on healthcare facility maintenance directors, engineers and mechanics for our awareness and education activities surrounding fire door inspection requirements, and on school administrators for our advocacy work about temporary door locking devices.
Review this short video to learn more about the Foundation’s work on annual fire/egress door inspection initiative. Download this brochure for additional details.
- Advocating for the critical role that the door and hardware industry plays in achieving and maintaining the balance between life safety and security in non-residential construction.
- Advocating for the importance of using certified and credentialed door security and safety professionals with the expertise and experience to ensure the critical balance between life safety and security in non-residential buildings.
- Creating awareness about issues that impact the life safety of building occupants, such as temporary door locking devices in school classrooms and annual fire door inspections in healthcare facilities.
- Provide education and awareness about the basics of door and hardware products and their applications, with an emphasis on code-mandated requirements to better understand the importance of properly maintaining and regularly inspecting fire and egress door assemblies.
- Maintain a network of Education Advocates who are DHI-credentialed Fire and Egress Door Assembly Inspectors (FDAI) and possess considerable knowledge and expertise to conduct these outreach activities into the building construction and healthcare communities, thus ensuring that the critical balance of life safety and security is maintained with the doors and entryways that serve the general public.
- We author publications, create scholarship programs and build resources to support the expertise in the door security and safety community and provide awareness about fire and egress door assemblies and temporary door locking devices in school classrooms.
The Pinnacle Award recognizes affiliate organizations or individuals who have excelled in their efforts to help advance life safety and security in the built environment.
Walt and Dr. Myrene McAninch
The 2016 Pinnacle Award was bestowed to Walt and Myrene McAninch for their legacy of advancing life safety and security. Walt McAninch was the founding President of Contract Hardware, Inc., of Seattle, and Myrene worked as an advocate for healthcare initiatives in Washington state and later on the national stage at The Joint Commission. Together they had a passion for the work of the Foundation. Through a generous memorial gift, they supported our educational programs for several years before their passing. The executor of their estate, Dale Garrett, DAHC, FDAI, FDHI, President of Contract Hardware, Inc. and former DHI and DSSF President, accepted the award on their behalf.
Paul D. Martin
Paul D. Martin is Chief of the Bureau of Fire Protection with the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control, where he served as a principle architect of New York State's nationally acclaimed Campus Fire Safety Program. Under Paul's leadership, the staff of the Bureau of Fire Protection is responsible for: fire and life safety inspections in a multitude of facilities throughout New York State. Paul also serves on the international Building Code's Means of Egress Committee for the International Code Council, where he is active in the development of the codes promulgated under the auspices of the ICC. Additionally he is a principle member of the NFPA technical committee.
Intertek serves a pivotal role as the certified Governing Agency of the FDAI program, making them a deserving selection to receive this prestigious industry recognition. Intertek has partnered with DHI since 2007 to offer professional certification as part of the FDAI program. Upon passing the DAI600 exam,
students are invited to enroll in Intertek's Certified Fire and Egress Door Inspector Certification Program. Intertek's professional certification affords DHI's Fire Door Inspectors prestige and distinction through the credibility of their Warnock Hersey Mark, which
many Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs) have come to recognize as one of the symbols that they can rely on in the field.